All candidates for the Master of Arts degree in History, regardless of which of the two tracks they are following, must complete the following requirements:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours with grade of "A" or "B".
- A minimum of 21 credit hours completed at the University of South Alabama.
- A maximum of 9 credit hours of 500 level courses that are dual-listed at the 400 level. Graduate students will only receive graduate credit for the 500 level version of dual-listed courses. These courses will require extra work beyond that expected of undergraduates in the 400 level course.
- At least 21 credit hours at the 500 level courses that are not dual-listed with the 400 level.
- Complete one of HY 530, HY 540, or HY 542 (except for students taking the Public History topical field or other topical fields).
- Choose a major field with 12 credits of coursework, and a minor field with 9 credits of coursework from among the following fields: American History, European History or World History, Topical Fields
Note: A grade of "C" or below is not considered a passing grade by the Department of History. Students receiving such a grade in a required course must make-up the hours.
Requirements for topical fields vary. Students must check with graduate coordinator for specific requirements. The remaining requirements are dictated by the track in which students choose to study:
- Complete comprehensive exams in both major and minor fields choosing from American; European or World; or topical field.