Special Category Students

Transient Students

Transient Students are visiting students from other colleges/universities and who wish to attend the University for one term and return to the home institution.

Academic Requirements: Students must be in good standing at the current institution and have the approval of their registrar or dean to enroll at USA.

A transient student must accept full responsibility in meeting course prerequisites and having the necessary preparation to take the course or courses desired.

Enrollment as a transient student in no way implies future admission as a regular student to the University of South Alabama.

Documents Required: Transient applicants must request the registrar or dean of the college or university in which they are currently enrolled to complete the University's Transient Form or write a letter of good standing for the applicant and mail it directly to the University.

If the student should decide to remain in transient status for more than one term the student must submit the University's Transient Student Form and a Readmission Application (available from the Office of Admissions) by the specified deadline (see "How to Apply for Readmission" section of the Bulletin) each semester. Should a transient student decide to transfer to the University of South Alabama, the student would be required to apply in the same manner as a transfer student and submit complete transcripts from each college or university attended.

Audit Students

Audit students wish to take courses, but not receive credit.

Academic Requirements: Students are admissible if a completed application for admission and the $35 nonrefundable processing on-line fee are submitted to the Office of Admissions by the published deadlines. No other documentation is required. Audit students pay the same tuition and fees as credit students.

Note: Transient, Unclassified and Audit students are not eligible to be considered for financial aid since they are not enrolled in degree-seeking programs.

Unclassified Applicants

Unclassified applicants are students who have earned at least a baccalaureate degree and wish to take additional undergraduate courses, but not for degree purposes.

Academic Requirements: Applicants are admissible if an official transcript showing evidence of the baccalaureate, master's or doctoral degree is received. Note that unclassified students are eligible to enroll in undergraduate courses only and are not working toward a degree. Students seeking a second undergraduate degree should apply as Transfer students.

Documents Required: Unclassified students submit an official transcript showing their earned baccalaureate, master's, or doctoral degree.