|General Education Requirements|
|C or better is required for these six courses:|
|A. Complete the following:|
|General Biology I|
and General Biology I Lab
|General Biology II|
and General Biology II Laboratory
|B. Complete the following:|
|BLY 301||Cell Biology||3|
|BLY 305||Introduction to Evolution||3|
|C. Students then must complete 20 hours of upper level Biology courses||20|
|Other STEM Requirements|
|See list below|
|A minor is required for this degree program||18-24|
|A MINIMUM OF 120 HOURS IS REQUIRED FOR A DEGREE||120|
All undergraduates must complete two designated writing credit (W) courses, at least one must be in major or minor.
Other STEM Requirements
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Lab
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry II Lab
|Organic Chemistry I|
and Organic Chemistry I Lab
|Select one of the following Options:||8-10|
|Physics with Algebra-Trig I|
and Alg-Trig Based Physics I Lab
|Physics with Algebra -Trig II|
and Alg-Trig Based Physics II Lab
and Physical Geology Lab
and Earth History Lab
|Select one of the following Options:||4-7|
or MA 115
|Stat Reason and Application|
or BLY 304
|Exp. Designs in Biology|
Effective for Fall, 2016, Major Milestones are used in all concentrations of the Biology Bachelor of Science major to help students stay on track for timely graduation. Each regular semester in the Biology major is a tracking term. In order to remain on track, students must complete the milestone requirements for each tracking term. These requirements are viewable on the Major Milestone tab above.
Major milestone requirements apply only to full-time, degree-seeking students who first entered Fall 2016 or later. Milestone requirements do not apply to transfer students in the Biology program.
The Biology Senior Thesis Program offers bright, academically motivated undergraduate students the opportunity to develop research and communication skills in preparation for a graduate or professional career. To apply for admission into the program, a student must:
- have completed BLY 121, BLY 121L, BLY 122, BLY 122L, CH 131, CH 132, plus one more upper division biology course.
- have earned a 3.25 GPA or better in biology courses attempted.
- have earned a 3.0 GPA or better overall.
- obtain a recommendation from a faculty member.
In addition to fulfilling the requirements of the standard biology program, senior thesis students must:
- participate in the Undergraduate Senior Thesis in Biology program for three terms; this may include summer terms.
- complete a minimum of six credits of directed research, three credits of which must be Honors Research in Biology (BLY 499).
- complete a research prospectus including an introduction, proposed methods, and relevant literature citations. The prospectus must be submitted and approved by their advisory committee during the first term of participation in the program.
- complete a written thesis, which must be approved by the advisory committee.
- present a public oral defense of the research project.
- complete a poster presentation at the USA Annual Research Forum or the UCUR Annual Research Forum.
Students participating in the Biology Senior Thesis Program who have a 3.5 GPA will also be eligible for Departmental Honors status.
Biology students who are part of the University Honors College will meet requirements for the Undergraduate Biology Senior Thesis as well as those of the University's program.